Thursday, November 22, 2012

Day 22: What I'm thankful for


Today is Thanksgiving in the US and the NHBPM prompt is themed accordingly - write about what you're thankful for! It's so easy to get caught up in all the things you don't have when you're health is less than stellar, so I'm glad they chucked this prompt in. (Hey, it's so easy to get caught up in the negativity even when everything is perfectly fine!)

So, today I was thinking about how much better my life is at the moment than it was this time last year. Last year I had no confirmed explanation for my pain and fatigue, I felt very isolated in the house I was in (although my housemate was actually quite good, just not social) and I hadn't yet gotten the job that I have at the moment, which I so desperately wanted.

One thing that has made a huge difference is my awesome housemates and our adorable house. I really feel like I've hit the jackpot with these guys. It feels like home. It's nice to come home to people who really care about you and a house that reflects your personality and I think I take that for granted just a little bit. So thanks for making my life better, guys!

Samples of some of the things I love about my house: roses from the garden, our huge tea collection (what's in the photo is by no means the extent of it), cute pillows, fairy lights and comfy couches
I also have such lovely, supportive, friends and family here in Canberra and all over the world. I like that even though I have been in Canberra for almost two years (!) many of my friendships from Adelaide are still flourishing. It's nice to have people who care and put in that extra effort to see you when you're only back for a little while, who send little notes of encouragement or who make the effort to come visit, so I hope you all know how much I appreciate it. It was also so good to see my US family a few weeks ago. I miss them terribly but I am glad that I got to spend the time over there.

While we're talking about things I'm thankful for - I thought I'd mention a few things that make me feel more at home here. Tonight I got a haircut and it just reminded me that I really do have it good. I have a great hairdresser who I trust implicitly with my hair. I've never had that before in my life, so its nice to actually get excited for hair appointments and not have to worry while I'm sitting in that chair. She always makes it look amazing and I walk out feeling like a movie star. Having favourite cafes and restaurants and even a regular dry cleaner that I know won't wreck my clothes makes this feel all the more like home.

I'm also thankful to have found a great GP and a good support network of endo girls here in Canberra. My GP always fills me with hope when I leave her appointment and I no longer dread the visits. I had dinner with one of the endo girls on Tuesday and it was refreshing to be able to talk about my experience with endo and know that the person I'm talking to knows exactly what I'm talking about. We went to a yummy Ethiopian restaurant in Pearce, and again it reminded me of how lucky I am to live in a country that is so multicultural, where I can go out and eat this yummy food.

One thing that I know I take for granted too much, but I am also very thankful for today, is my job. I never in a thousand years would've dreamed that I would be able to do the stuff that I'm doing right now at my age. I am so thankful for the opportunities I have to do some pretty cool stuff and also the fact that I am be able to get the medical help I need without stressing about money. (Flexible hours are also a total lifesaver).

I could probably go on forever, but I'll stop there. So, happy Thanksgiving.

_________________________________________________________________________________

This month I will be taking part in National Health Blog Post Month. Check back every day to see the new topic and learn more about endometriosis. Today's topic is thanksgiving.

4 comments:

  1. Olá Lib, como vai?

    Gostaria muito que lêsse, este blog.

    Um abraço, e até mais.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO glad that Canberra is treating you well. I have never seen your hair looking better- so incredibly funky...and blonde!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Canberra's got its ups and downs (like anywhere), but it actually is treating me pretty well at the moment! (The warmer weather may also have something to do with this...)

      Delete
    2. Also, I totally got it cut last Thursday... I'm not sure if that's what you are saying is funky, but I'm loving the new cut!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...