Monday, January 28, 2013

Couch to 5k Week 4


So. I have the dreaded shin pain. Drat.

I started having shin pain on session 1 of Week 4 and on session 2 of Week 4 it was bad enough that I went to the physio that day. She told me that shin pain is common with people who have not recently (or previously) done high impact exercise, particularly around the week 3/4 mark. This is because the old bone is breaking down and becoming new, stronger bone. At this time there is an increased risk of fracture and so it is vital that it's taken seriously.

She told me that most of my pain seemed to be due to my extremely tight calf and shin muscles and prescribed some stretches to do twice a day. However, my bone is also quite tender so I also have to dial back my running regime and do 1 minute intervals (1 min run, 1 min walk, 1 min run, 3 min walk). It's a bit frustrating to have to do that (I was up to 5 minute intervals!!) but I really don't want a fracture. I've also been told to only run on soft surfaces, steer clear of coffee and alcohol (which I was doing already for other reasons). Along with all the rest she also did some seriously uncomfortable massage on my calves and I'm going back to see her in a week.

This means that I haven't finished Week 4 of the Couch to 5 K challenge today as I would've if I was on my regular routine. I will probably end up needing to take 12-15 weeks to do the challenge instead of the prescribed 9 according to the app, but if I don't have to stop running that is all that matters!

It's only since it's become painful to run that I have realised how much I am totally addicted to running at the moment. I got so grumpy today without my 5:30 am workout. I think the fact that it makes me happier is motivation enough to keep going.

So today, since it rained and I couldn't get out and run, and with my housemate's XBOX absent (no Dance Central 3!), I searched youtube for some great workout videos. This is the first video that came up, and it really works quite well! Not super cheesy, plenty of variety and it definitely gets your heart-rate up if you get into it. No excuses for me today!

1 comment:

  1. Boo...sucks that you're getting pain :s I'm inspired by your motivation though- definitely will be worth it in the end :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...