Tuesday, January 29, 2013

PMS

Ok, so if you read this blog regularly, you know that I am going to go into a bit of detail every now and then about stuff that people don't normally talk about. Today is one of those days.

This morning I am PMSing so bad. I'm so clumsy and irritable. I'd love to stay home from work if I could just because I feel like crap. Normally I would be at work by now on a Wednesday morning as I get up at 5:30 am to go for a run and usually get into work by 8 am.

My period started yesterday for the first [proper] time in 10 months. It's not fun. It's heavy (despite the tranexamic acid I'm taking every 6 hours), I'm bloated and I've got a bit of general back pain and also some random pulses of uterine pain. Bloody hell it sucks. Thankfully I don't have the severe pain that I'm used to on my period. I'm hoping the surgery, exercise and diet changes that I have made are partly to account for this.

Funny thing is, now that the pain isn't there so much, I am noticing all the other crap that goes along with having your period even more. It makes me even more angry about this article I read the other day. It claims that PMS is a myth, which is completely untrue and it is a huge misinterpretation of the scientific paper that it comes from. You know what? Periods make you feel like crap. Maybe not for all women, but for most women, that is the truth. I think that generally when you feel like crap you tend to be a bit more irritable, independent of the cause of that thing that makes you feel like crap. I don't need a newspaper or scientific journal telling me that I am internalising everything from the rest of the month to be expressed at this particular time of the month. That is crap and it is minimising women to a level of low emotional maturity (what's new?). It's called hormonal changes and phases of your cycle and this "debate" really needs to be kicked out the window once and for all. It's like when my original gyne told me that my depression and anxiety was nothing to do with the Mirena I was on. Well, guess what? I had the Mirena taken out and *boom* no more extreme depression and anxiety. *Newsflash* hormonal changes cause mood changes.

Women don't need another person telling them that the pain they feel is not real.

As a side note - since I had the Mirena taken out, I have had less constant pain and more randomised sharp pain (at any time of the month)/back spasms. I think I can actually deal with that kind of pain much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...