Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Musings {01-05-2013}

Here's some happy happenings of late so I don't end up ranting about how I wish PMS didn't exist and how I'm dreading the next week and a half.

eating...


This is what it looks like when you order a black bean vege burger without the bun because you're trying to go wheat free to improve your endo symptoms. Deliciously messy. (From Shorty's - the new cafe in Civic.)

_____________________________________________________

linking...

D. finally snapped tonight after watching me struggle to explain the disease for the umpteenth time and said, quite bluntly, “Think of it as cancer without the cancer.” Endometriosis is terribly invasive; it feeds on estrogen and burrows deep into the pelvic organs. It has even been known to grow on other organs, such as the kidneys, lungs, and brain in more severe (and admittedly, rarer) cases. It is incredibly painful, and the level of pain experienced by the sufferer is not always proportional to the disease’s stage. And while the growths are benign, the disease causes a host of other health problems along the way in addition to wreaking emotional havoc on the sufferer and her loved ones.

...my primary problem with this Dove ad is that it’s not really challenging the message like it makes us feel like it is. It doesn’t really tell us that the definition of beauty is broader than we have been trained to think it is, and it doesn’t really tell us that fitting inside that definition isn’t the most important thing. It doesn’t really push back against the constant objectification of women. 

With each incursion, I am struck by how these people seem to consider my breasts to be items for consumption or amusement, rather than essential parts of my self; every time, I find myself thinking that I must learn to make concessions in the way that I dress or behave to stop eliciting these reactions.

An interesting article to revisit in the wake of the recent Boston Bombings and all the Tumblr sites devoted to Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

and just for fun...


_____________________________________________________

reading...

via
In the last few weeks I have finished Nine Parts of Desire by Geraldine Brooks and Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling. Yesterday I finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. I'd been meaning to read it for ages and I'm so glad I did. The whole book was delicious. So many gorgeous quotes. Here's a few (there are plenty more where that came from):

"In bed that night I invented a special drain that would be underneath every pillow in New York, and would connect to the reservoir. Whenever people cried themselves to sleep, the tears would all go to the same place, and in the morning the weatherman would report if the water level in the Reservoir of Tears had gone up or down, and you could know if New York was in heavy boots."


"I spent my life learning to feel less.
Every day I felt less.
Is that growing old? Or is it something worse?
You can not protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness."


"Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living."



Now I can't wait to get into his other books - Eating Animals and Everything is Illuminated.

_____________________________________________________

making...


I've gotten majorly into cross stitch at the moment. It's addictive. A couple of weekends ago I managed to finish this one in under two days. Now I'm just looking for my next design...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...